|xx||home | profiel | links | contact|
Swell to Great, Swell to Great super
organ was built for St Aloysius’s Church, St. Giles, Oxford, by T.J.F.
Robson in 1843. It was rebuilt by Henry Jones & Sons in 1881.
Jones added to the soundboard of the Swell the lower octave,
completing the compass with 12 notes (the original compass was c 0 –
c4). Also he placed a Salicional 8 ft in stead of a reed (maybe a
Cremona 8 ft or a Fagotto 16 ft), and he renewed the mechanical action.The
Sexquialtra has a high compound (1 3/5, 1 1/3, 1) almost throughout.
This is a very fine example of a mid-victorian organ in the style of
Flight & Robson. The revoicing by Jones was done with great
respect to the qualities of this instrument.
|© F.R. Feenstra 2006|